Under the supervision of Sawie, a Baithak was held on Saturday, 15th April 2023, 11-12AM, the topic was,” the selections of paddy varieties in the view of climate change and how their timing of cultivation can increase yield”.
Guests: Engineer Mushtaq Ahmed Gul (CEO Sawie), Dr. Abul Fasal (Progressive Farmer), Dr. Muhammad Farooq (Professor in Sultan Qaboos University), and Dr. Muhammad Arif (Deputy Chief Scientist NIBGE).
· Before sowing any crop, the farmer should need to do pre-sowing soil test to check the fertility and nutrient status of the soil.
· Before choosing a variety the farmer should need to analyze his resources, profitability, input cost and check whether he really needs to sow rice or has an alternate better option.
· Farmer should add a leguminous crop after wheat and before rice to improve soil health and fertility. Farmer could sow pluses and short duration oil seed crop.
· Select varieties according to area and soil type. First, if they’ve been planting the same variety for years, it needs to be changed. If a new variety is introduced to the market, try it on a small area of your farm to test its suitability and potential.
· If a farmer wants to sow an oilseed crop after rice, choose a short duration rice variety.
· They should choose either hybrid or non-hybrid considering their resources, production cost and production demand in a year. Kisan Basmati is a 90 days crop and has a production capacity of 8 tons per hectare, short duration, and short stature crop.
· The farmer needs to rotate the variety after 3 to 4 years. We need boron and zinc once a year. Application of Boron helps to increase immunity in the plant.
· Farmers face weed and diseases attack on rice field. For this purpose, a variety of rotation is essential and proper amount of fertilizers must be applied.
· We have mechanical rice transplanter, direct seeded rice technology and aerobic rice cultivation in Pakistan. We can use it too.
· Selection of right variety, right time of sowing, right amount irrigation with right time of irrigation, right time of use of herbicides can help farmers to get profitable yield.
· We can do intercropping in rice with Mongbean, millet and sesame in aerobic rice cultivation technologyWe can make our sustainable position in the international market by improving the seed and market.
1. For coarse seed varieties,
KS-282, KSK-434, KSK-133, NIAB IRRI-9, NIAB-2013 and NIBGE GSR-6.
If you are planning to sow coarse varieties, than you have to sow seed in between 20 May to 7 July. KSK-434 and KSK-133 are the high yield potential varieties.
- For Fine seed varieties,
Select varieties like PK Aromatic-2021, Super Gold, and Super basmati-2019, Basmati 515, Super Basmati, Chinab Basmati, Basmati Pak, Punjab Basmati, NIAB Basmati-2016 and Noor Basmati are the approved fine rice varieties. If you are planning to sow Fine varieties, than you have to sow seed in nursery in between 7June to 25 June.